Monday, November 9, 2009

I am impressed !!

These are most of the books we have for the littlies when they come to our house. These are the most read ones .. that's why they're on the floor in the lounge ready to be picked up and opened ...

... lots of new ones ... lots of older ones ..


... and lots of even older ones ....

The other afternoon, as like most summer afternoons, our ritual is to take a picnic rug onto the lawn under the shade of the trees, with a couple of books and some toys. Mainly books.
And then we read .. well, I read to Bradley and Connor.

Two different ages is making it tricky .. so we have to have turns !
Connor has a story read, then Bradley has his turn.
Sooo ... the other afternoon ... we sat on our picnic rug and Bradley read to me !! I was most impressed! I have heard him read words and short sentences but on this occasion he read the whole of The Three Billy Goats Gruff !!!
He struggled on the big words but I only had to tell him once and then he remembered. My children learnt to read by sounding out the letters to make up a word - these children are learning by sight of the entire word. Is that a good thing? I don't know, I'm not a teacher but surely you need to know how to spell the word, then say it.
I have many books like this one .. with repetitive sentences ... The Enormous Turnip, The Magic Porridge Pot, The Gingerbread Man, The Enormous Pancake, Chicken Licken etc etc and we read them all the time ... I have done with all my children.
I can read Chicken Licken with my eyes closed!!! Clever Granny !!!
Anyway ... the modern way is working and he read to me ... the whole story. He is in Grade 0!!
I was impressed!!

6 comments:

  1. you are a great Granny...books are so important...I love the three billy goats gruff...lucky little ones you have

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have the patiance of a saint!!! your Grandchildren ae very lucky to have such a special Granny!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's very cool!! Well done to Bradley :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember all those books myself...
    My son does the bedtime stories...he has to read each grandchild 3 books!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aaaaah! How well I remember my book about the Billy Goats Gruff! I swear it is worn in the same places! You have really takne me down memory lane today! :)

    ReplyDelete