Monday, January 11, 2010

I felt a little sad ...

... when hubby and I visited this vast warehouse called Just Africa at Hartbeespoort Dam over the New Year's weekend ...


.. and saw all the animal skins made up as furniture items, rugs etc and then just the 'simple' skins lying on the floor for sale ... mainly to tourists who visit our beautiful country. Apparently the Zebra skin is the favourite ...

The skins were piled high in places ...

... some with visible bullet holes .. as in this Springbok skin (those small dotted dents)


Now .. this made me even sadder ... the taxidermist area ... :(


(I'm not sure why there are two bears there ... we do not have bears in this part of the world! )


... the leopard brought tears to my eyes ...


Then we went onto a huge African art, curio and artefacts warehouse ...

... with stalls overflowing with goods ...

... including colourful beadwork ...


... ostrich eggs ...
... and interesting woodwork... loved these candle holders!!!

I know there has to be culling of over-populated animals but seeing all those skins, stuffed animals and heads saddened me

8 comments:

  1. Note : link to website doesn't seem to be there but that's the address on the business card the chappie gave us. If anyone is interested there is an email address - africanart@pop.co.za
    He said he takes orders from most places worldwide.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also feel sad seeing this on your blog...what a waste of beautiful animals all for the holiday trade for overseas visitors.

    My uncle hunts and has all this on one of his rooms, as a child I always felt so scared of the heads of buck and other animals on the walls, didnt feel natural..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would make me sad too to see that :(
    I hope they are all because of culling, and not anything else

    ReplyDelete
  4. it is sad to see people hunt for sport not food...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not a big lover of African art at all, especially animal designs and skins!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would much rather take a walk through the African craft section than the stuffed animal part as well. I have never even gone on a hunting trip. Its just not for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. awwww..... thats really sad to see those animals skins.... it really makes me also a little sad

    ReplyDelete