Sunday, January 10, 2010

Weekly Winners : 3 - 9 Jan

Christmas decorations packed away for another year ...


.. and with Christmas over and the whole year ahead of us .. I am spending time in the garden again ...

Here's an update on my corner where the conifers were felled ... not looking too bad now !!!


... the roses are blooming ....


... one of my favourites .. Sharifa - 'Daddy's rose' .. with it's soft curls and the scent wafts through the air ...


"When I grow up I want to be ....


... a flame lily"

I know I've mentioned the story behind my flame lilies .. brought/sneeked one plant back from Rhodesia (Zimbabwe) in the early 1980's from my cousin's farm. It was in the middle of the Rhodesian war and the farmers were constantly under attack from the terrorists ..... .... ....

.... and the plant multiplied .. some years I have a beautiful show of many flowers and other years I have just a few .. the latter applies this year ...

Summertime also is the time for butterflies ...

... rosy red apples ...


... and chilled white wine for a summer's lunch ... this one is particularly refreshing - from Haute Cabriere in Franschhoek in the Cape .... "The nose has both citrus and underlying red berry flavours. The Chardonney provides the creaminess and Pinot Noir intensity. The finish is long and firm"
... I love the way wine is described !!!!

Is that a prezzie parked under a tree ... ?


Smiley faces off to a party ...


... that's a huge smiley face ...


... and one sleepy face ...

For more Weekly Winners go to Lotus' sarcasticmom

11 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos. I love that flame lily... amazing. Your pictures make me dream of summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your garden is gorgeous! The flame lily is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. your photos warmed me up....we're gonna warm up to 44 today...started in the teens....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being in a deep freeze the last week, plus... your beautiful garden is 10x the site for chilly eyes!

    That last shot, though? Precious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awwwww. Of course, YOU KNOW what I'm referring to, don't you?

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so cold and dreary here - I love seeing these flowers! Especially love that close up on the pink rose and the one with the butterfly. So nice. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That butterfly shot is awesome and I love the garden photos!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, so now I am totally jealous since we have 5 inches of snow on the ground and I won't be able to enjoy beauty like that for another 3 months! All are BEAUTIFUL shots!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a lovely collection this week. Those Flamlilies are incredibly beautiful! I could do with an ice, cold glass of Haute Cabriere RIGHT now! :)

    ReplyDelete